The Ministry of Migration and Displacement (MoMD) Returns Grant is a one-off payment to support displaced families to return to their areas of origin in Iraq and Iraqi Kurdistan. The Return Grant was rolled out in 2019, and since then, 63,719,250,000 IQD has been dispersed to 42,536 families throughout the country. In this article, we will provide information on how to apply for the return grant and where to get assistance.

Who is eligible for the grant?

To be eligible, you must satisfy these requirements:

  1. Be displaced from your area of origin within Iraq or Iraqi Kurdistan
  2. Be registered as displaced with MOMD
  3. Register your return to the area of origin with the MOMD
  4. Have a closed displacement file with the MOMD
  5. Hold a MOMD Q-Card

How to apply for the Return Grant?

  1. Register as a displaced with the MoMD

To be eligible for the Return Grant, you must be registered as ‘displaced’ with the MoMD. To do this, you must visit the MoMD at the area of displacement to request to register as displaced and open a displacement file.

To open a displacement file you should provide:

  • I.Ds for all family members.
  • Supporting documents that prove you are displaced, which can include confirmation from the mayor's office of the area of displacement. Once you have registered as displaced, a displacement file is opened for you and your family.

If you couldn’t register during displacement - don’t worry, you can register as displaced and for the return grant at the same time.

  1. Close the displacement file:

A Return Grant is awarded to people who wish to return to their area of origin, to support the family return. If you are displaced and want to return home, you should request to close your “displacement file”. You cannot be eligible for a return grant unless you have a closed return file. To do this, you can visit the MoMD branch in the area of displacement to submit a request to close the file and provide the following supporting documents:

- Written request to have your file closed

- Copy of the latest residency endorsement

- ID cards for all family members

  1. Deactivation of the family displacement code:

After you submit your request, the MoMD branch will forward it to the MoMD branch in the governorate of your origin to inform them. A copy of the request will also be sent to the ministry headquarters in Baghdad.

This step will deactivate the family displacement code and will result in the closure of your displacement file.

  1. Open a Return File and submit the Return Grant request :

Once you return to your area of origin, the head of household will need to visit the MoMD branch there to submit the request for the grant and open a return file. To support the request, the following documents should be submitted to the office:

- Submitted letter from the MoMD branch on the area of displacement

- House endorsement prepared and signed by the local Mukhtar, Intelligence, and the Mayor

- Copy of the ID, nationality certificate (or the national ID), residency card, and PDS card for the head of household

- One copy of the ID of each family member

- One copy of the previous Q-card It is important that the head of household provides an active phone number so they can be contacted by MoMD during the processing of your application.


  1. Receive a confirmation SMS that your application for the grant was successful

The MoMD branch in the area of return will contact the head of household by SMS or phone call to notify him\her to collect the new return code. Once you receive the code, you should be provided with assistance by MoMD, which can include food and non-food in-kind assistance, the return grant, or the livelihood grant.

The MoMD will finalize the return file only if the entire family has returned to the area of origin.

What challenges may I face in applying for the Return Grant?

  1. How do I get a Q-Card?

You need a Q-Card to receive the Return Grant. Each family has an individual and unique Q-card. To obtain a Q-card you need to follow these steps:

1- When you open a return file, you should receive a letter from MoMD addressed to the Q-card company.

2- Take the letter to the nearest Q-card company office with the following documents:

  • Civil Status ID (national card).
  • Residence card.
  • Passport.
  • Iraqi nationality ID.
  • Ration card.

3- The company will take 25,000 IQD fees and start the process of issuing the Q-card. The process can take around 10 working days.

4- The Q-card will remain valid for 10 years after the issue date.

  1. I closed my displacement file but now I cannot return it, can I reopen my file?

If you have closed your displacement file with MoMD but then were unable to return to your area of origin, you should be able to re-activate it. Visit a MoMD office near you to reopen your displacement file. However, if you received the return grant or any other return assistance from MoMD, you will not be able to re-activate the displacement file.

  1. What happens if the head of the household is missing or has passed away?

If the head of household has died, the file can be renamed into his or her spouse’s name after a death certificate is provided. If the head of household’s situation or whereabouts are unknown, then the file can be renamed to his or her spouse after a proper court document and investigation report are provided to the MoMD.

  1. What happens if the head of household has engaged in terrorism?

If the head of household had engaged in terrorism activities, the family may still be eligible for the Return Grant, however, they should prove they are no longer associated with the affiliated family member. If they can prove that, then the file can be transferred into the name of the spouse.

How much does it cost to apply for the grant?

The whole process is free of charge.


Where can I find the nearest MoMD office?

Kurdistan Region governorates:

- Duhok: Zarga region / Near Al-Zarga prison.

- Suliemanya: 60th street / near Kubani bridge.

- Erbil: 100th street / near Rizgari Hospital.

Northern governorates:

- Salahuddin: Tikrit main street/hay al-Qadissyah / behind al-Qadissyah garage.

- Kirkuk: governorate center / al-Ehtifalat square / in front of the al-Rashid radio station.

- Ninawa: East Mosul / Al-Faysaliah / near Al-Dawair Mosque / behind engineering syndicate.

- Dyala: behind Baquba hospital / next to the agricultural department.

Northern Offices:

- Tilaafar: Hay al-Mu’almin / near Al-Rusafi School.

- Al-Hamdanyah: QaraQush / Near Mosul bank for investments and development.

- Samaraa: Hay al-Dhubat the second / end of Al-Razaq mosque street.

- Khanaqin: Bakh palace / next to Khanaqin municipality department.

Middle governorates:

- Baghdad:

Al-Karkh: Al-Harthiah / Al-Kindi street / in front of Al-Andalus School.

Al-Rusafah: Palestine street / Al-Muhandisin Neighborhood.

- Wasit:

Al-Kut district / Dur Al-Ommal / near Civil Defense Directorate.

Middle Furat Governorates:

- Najaf: Hay Al-Adalah / behind the swimming pool / in front of the governorate station.

- Karbala: in front of the United Garage.

- Diwaniya: hay al-Askari / al-Tahady post office/ near al-Sulaimanya restaurant.

- Anbar: Al-Ramadi district / near Al-Anbar court.

- Babylon: 50th street / near Al-Zayton restaurant.

Southern Governorates:

- Basrah: Al-Ashar District / Al-Kurdish street / near Sheraton Hotel.

- Missan: Al-Imarah district / Al-Shabanah region / Al-Kurnish street.

- DhiQar: Al-Nassiryah District / Al-Thawrah Inter-section / in front of DhiQar police station.

- Al-Muthanna: Al-Simawa District / Abu Mahar / near Radio & TV station.


If you have any further questions or need more information you couldn't find in the article, you can directly contact the Simaet Bhatha team from Sunday to Thursday, 9:00am to 4:00pm, through the following platforms:

you can also look for humanitarian services in your governorate through the Service Mapping, you can also find the frequently asked questions by our audience here

we would like to know your opinion about the information we provide, please click here to answer questions that would take 5-10 minutes.